The New Times Corporation, formerly known as the Guinea Press Limited, was established by the first President of Ghana, the Late Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, in 1957, as a printing house for his political party, the Convention Peoples Party (CPP). However, after Nkrumah’s overthrow in 1966, the Guinea Press was taken over as a state property by the National Liberation Council Decree (NLCD) 130 of 1968.
It was later transformed into the New Times Corporation in 1971 via an Instrument of Corporation – Act 363, 1971, to carry out business as newspaper proprietors. It also operates as general printers and contractors which is able to collect and disseminate news and information, employ correspondents, authors, writers and others, and to pay for news and information, however, obtained.
Currently, the Corporation is governed by a nine-member Board of Directors who are appointed by the National Media Commission (NMC) in consultation with the President of the Republic of Ghana. The day-to-day administration of the Corporation is, however, in the hands of a Management Team made up of the Heads of its six main departments comprising, the Accounts, Administration, Audit, Editorial, Marketing, Technical Services and Publications.